Nairobi, Friday 5 July 2013
Nairobi, Friday 5 July 2013
A 24 man Kenya team to the Confederation of African Rugby's Division 1A Championships that take place in Madagascar next week has been named. Kenya Harlequin lock Wilson Kopondo retains the captain's mantle with Impala fullback Vincent Mose deputizing him. Head Coach Jerome Paarwater has called up Kenya Sevens captain Andrew Amonde, and sevens squad members Oscar Ayodi and Fabian Olando as the Kenya fifteens side seeks to reclaim the African title they last held in 2011.
Commenting on the trio's inclusion, Team Manager Wangila Simiyu said, " The decision to call up these players is twofold, occasioned by tactics and injuries. We've called up Amonde in what is a tactical move, he takes up David Mogere's place in the squad while Oscar Ayodi and Fabian Olando replace Dennis Muhanji and David Ambunya who were injured during the Elgon Cup return leg against Uganda in Kampala two weeks ago. Ayodi is a very good player, strong on offense and defense while Olando adds a different dimension to the squad given his ability to play anywhere from number 10 to 15."
Kenya Rugby Union CEO Jack Okoth called on the public to rally behind the side, saying, " Kenyan fifteens rugby is set to soar to even greater heights. We are taking the fixture in Madagascar seriously and look forward to another great display from the side which has been in preparation for this assignment since early February."
KRU Director Kadieda Ogutu, who also sits on the National Squads Committee said, " The Kenya Rugby Union is keen on improving the fortunes of the fifteens team, and that is why a very deliberate effort has been put into preparing this team to be as competitive as any other in the world. We will continue supporting this side in its quest to be a powerhouse in the longer version of the game as well."
The team will play Uganda in a direct semi final at 2.30pm East African Standard Time on Wednesday 10 July, the winner of this match proceeding to the final on Sunday 14 July against the winner of the Zimbabwe/Madagascar semi final. They leave the country at 8.00am on Sunday 7 July.
Kenya CAR Cup Squad
1. Wilson Kopondo - Kenya Harlequin FC -Captain
2. Andrew Amonde - Kenya Commercial Bank RFC
3. Fabian Olando - Kenya Commercial Bank RFC
4. Joshua Chisanga - Homeboyz RFC
5. Kenny Andola - Strathmore RFC
6. Michael Okombe - Nakuru RFC
7. Isaac Adimo - Kenya Harlequin FC
8. Oscar Ayodi - Homeboyz RFC
9. Gibson Weru - Nakuru RFC
10. Edwin Achayo - Kenya Harlequin FC
11. Samuel Oliech - Impala RFC
12. Brian Nyikuli - Kenya Harlequin FC
13. Oliver Mangeni - Kenya Commercial Bank RFC
14. Samuel Warui - Nakuru RFC
15. Michael Agevi - Mwamba RFC
16. Curtis Lilako - Kenya Commercial Bank RFC
17. Ronnie Mwenesi - Nondescripts RFC
18. Vincent Mose - Impala RFC – Vice Captain
19. Nicodemus Barasa - Kenya Harlequin FC
20. Isaiah Nyariki - Nakuru RFC
21. Dennis Karani - Kenya Harlequin FC
22. Joseph Kangethe - Australia University
23. James Kangethe - Australia University
24. Cyprian Kuto - Strathmore RFC
1. Jerome Paarwater - Head Coach
2. Charles Ngovi - Assistant Coach
3. Richard Ochieng - Strength & Conditioning Coach
4. Christopher Makachia - Team Physiotherapist
5. Wangila Simiyu - Team Manager
KRU Media & Communications
Kenya Rugby Union
Received by email